• families, staff members with Birdville ISD logo


    Health (medical, dental, vision) Insurance Plan Questions 

    Q:     How do I get new ID cards?

    A:     If you need to order new cards,  need claim filing instructions, or other information you may contact the carriers individually listed on Birdville's Benefits Portal by clicking here.

    Q:     How do I change my address?

    A:     You will need to change your address in Munis, which will feed to all of your benefit carriers. Detailed information on address changes can be found on the Human Resources website here.

    Q:     What would it cost to add someone to my insurance?

    A:     Premiums are listed in the Benefit Guide found on the Districts Benefits Portal here.

    Q:     I am getting married and want to know how to add my spouse to my insurance policy.

    A:     You have 30 days from the date of the marriage to add your new spouse. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here. BEWARE of a large increase in premium on the medical plans.

    Q:     I am getting a divorce and losing my medical coverage.  Can I enroll with BISD benefits?

    A:     YES.  Contact the Benefits Office within 30 days of the date the divorce is final. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here

    Q:     My spouse is having open enrollment.  The medical premiums increased substantially. Can I add him to my benefits?

    A:     NO, voluntary terminations of other coverage, due to benefit changes, spousal surcharges, or premium increases, are not special enrollment events for TRS-Active Care. However, you may keep your spouse’s coverage in place until BISD open enrollment, add him to BISD’s coverage, and then drop his coverage through his employer. This would be a qualifying event of other group coverage allowing him to drop coverage through his employer.

    Q:     My spouse is having open enrollment.  The company has a new rule that states “if spouse is eligible for medical coverage at their employment, they will be removed and must enroll with their company.”  Can I enroll with TRs-ActiveCare?

    A:     YES. This would be considered an “involuntary” loss of coverage. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here. 

    Q:     My spouse has a new job with benefits.  Can I cancel him from my plan?

    A:     YES, with proof of new coverage. Contact the Benefits Office within 30 days of the new coverage effective date. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here. 

    Q:     I turn 26 years old next month and will lose my benefits under my parent’s plan.  Can I enroll with BISD at that time?

    A:     YES.  This is an “involuntary” lose of coverage. Contact the Benefits Office for a BISD change form.  The new benefits will be effective the first of the month following your date of birth. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here. 

    Q:     Can I cancel my insurance now or do I have to wait until open enrollment?

    A:     It would depend on the reason for the cancellation.  If it’s due to a qualifying event that occurred within 30 days, it can be cancelled the first of the month following the event date. Otherwise, you would need to wait until open enrollment. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here.

    Q:     Will our medical plan allow us to get a second opinion?

    A:     Contact your medical plan for the correct procedure to obtain a second opinion

    Q:     What’s the difference between an HMO and PPO?

    A:     A PPO gives you the freedom to choose any provider.  The HMO is a network plan and requires you to select a provider from the network’s group of providers. Keep in mind using an in-network provider on a PPO will save you money.

    Specific to dental, the PPO has a calendar year maximum amount the plan will pay, the DHMO does not have a calendar year maximum.

    Q:     I have not received a dental ID card.

    A:     For the PPO dental, an ID card is not necessary.  Tell them you have Delta Dental and they can verify your coverage/benefits using your date of birth and social security number. However, you may also log onto DeltaDental.com and download a new card, or call Delta at 800-521-2651 for the PPO, or 800-422-4234 for the HMO.         

    Q:     My dentist said that our plan year starts over in January.  I thought it was September.

    A:     Your provider is referring to the processing of claims and deductibles.  Dental is the only benefit that uses calendar year to process claims. All other BISD benefits are on a plan year from 9/1-8/31.


    Life Insurance Plan Questions

    Q:    If an employee gets married and adds spouse to life insurance, would a Statement of Health be required?

    A:    A Statement of Health would only be required if the elected amount exceed the Guaranteed Issue amount of $50,000.

    Q:    Is it allowed to have life insurance policies with more than one company?

    A:    Absolutely.

    Q:    Please explain the different life insurance policies Birdville offers.

    A:     Grandfathered Life – This is life insurance we had with Aetna before we changed to MetLife. (April, 2007).  MetLife allowed employees to keep their Aetna coverage as a Grandfathered Plan through MetLife.

    Voluntary Term Life – Inexpensive term life insurance purchased by employees. Premiums are age banded and increase in 5 year increments. This is a group policy, so if you leave the District you would have to convert the policy to an individual policy to keep it. Rate will increase.

    Spouse Life – Life insurance for employee’s spouse.  Same terms as Voluntary Term Life.

    Child Life – Life insurance for employee’s child.  $10,000 for each child up to age 26. Total cost is $1.20 per month, regardless of the number of children insured.

    Individual Life – This is an individual life plan rather than a group supplemental term life plan.  The individual policy is guaranteed renewable, portable and premiums remain the same over the life of the policy. It can also be purchased for employee’s spouse and/or children to age 24. These policies are not available to new enrollment after 1/1/2020.                   


    FSA, DCA and HSA Accounts

    Q:    What is the difference between the FSA and HSA?

    A:     The FSA plan is a “spending” plan.  All monies must be used by August 31st. The FSA plan MUST be re-elected each year during the benefits open enrollmeny. Your full election amount is available to you on your plan effective date.

    The HSA is a “savings” plan. Monthly contributions accumulate and funds are spent at your convenience. Funds are available as you contribute them, and you don’t lose money at the end of the plan year, it rolls over.

    The Federal law requires HSA participants to be enrolled in a high deductible plan such as our TRS-ActiveCare 1HD.

    Q:    If I enroll in the medical plan during the plan year due to a loss of coverage, can I elect a Flexible Spend Account also?

    A:    YES, because you had an involuntary loss of coverage.

    Q:    I am changing to my spouse medical plan effective January 1st.  Is that a qualifying event to drop the FSA?

    A:    NO, because this would be a voluntary change and not allowed per the Cafeteria Plan.

    Q:    If I retire or resign from Birdville, can I COBRA my FSA Health Care?

    A:    YES, if there is a remaining balance in your account.  However, you cannot COBRA an FSA Dependent Care plan.

    NOTE:  Both the FSA and HSA contributions are made on a pre-taxed basis. Your household may not contribute to both an FSA and an HSA in the same plan year. For example, you cannot contribute to the HSA if your spouse is contributing to an FSA, even if it is through another employer.



    Q:    I am expecting a child. How do I add the child to my insurance?

    A:    Contact the Benefits Office within 30 days of the date of birth.  The sooner, the better. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here. 

    Q:    My spouse and I are adopting an infant.  How do I add the child to my insurance?

    A:    Contact the Benefits Office 30 days within the date of the adoption.  The adopted child will be effective the date of the adoption or the date the child is placed with the employee. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here. 

    Q:    I am getting guardianship/custody of a child.  How do I add the child to my benefits?

    A:    Contact the Benefits Office within 30 days of the date of date the guardianship is granted.  The child will be effective the date of the guardianship. Please visit the How to Enroll and Make Changes page here. 

    Q:    What do I need to know about taking maternity leave?

    A:    Visit the Human Resource website.  Complete the FMLA forms. If you have elected the disability plan, contact the company a month or two before delivery for instructions to file a claim. Note:  If you do not have enough leave days accumulated to cover the maternity leave, you will not receive a paycheck.  You will receive a letter requesting payment of the benefit premiums.

    Q:    My baby is going to be delivered by C-section.  Will the disability benefit be for eight weeks or the normal six weeks?

    A:    The benefit will be for eight weeks.


    Miscellaneous Questions

    Q:    What is the TRS Care deduction on my paycheck?

    A:     It’s the teacher’s retirement medical plan. This is a mandatory contribution towards retiree medical for anyone who contributes to a TRS pension plan, even if you currently do not take medical through TRS, and/or don't intend to take retiree medical.