(also known as the RHS high school code)
    Seniors planning to attend a four-year university after graduation will need to take either ACT or SAT to meet admissions requirements.  Students may get registration information and sample test booklets in the Counseling Office.  See Testing Links. 
     TSI or Accuplacer
    All public two and four year colleges in Texas require the TSI test in order to enroll in classes.  Students need to take this test as early as possible their senior year. Some students are exempt from TSI based on scores obtained on SAT or ACT.  Your counselor will be able to inform if you are exempt.  See Testing Links.
    SAT Subject Test
    Some colleges require students to take SAT Subject Tests (i.e. Rice, UT Austin). These are subject tests given on specific SAT test dates. Check with the college you plan to attend to see if this is required.  See Testing Links.
    College Night will be October 23 at the BCTAL (6:00 to 8:00).
    The Common Application, known as APPLYTEXAS, is used to apply to any 4-year public university in Texas. UT Austin and Texas A&M use this application exclusively. This application can be obtained online at www.ApplyTexas.org. This Website is helpful since it contains pertinent information and links to all the 4-year public universities in Texas.
    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will not be available until October 1. The information for the application will be based on the year's income tax returns. A financial aid seminar is held at College Night for general information on the application process.  RHS also offers evening seminars for completing the FAFSA. Through this application eligibility is determined for grants, work-study and loans.  Some scholarship applications may require FAFSA be filled out to determine eligibility. See Financial Aid link or http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/.
    The best source for scholarship information is directly from the colleges and from Richland High School.  Information regarding scholarships is available in the Counseling Office and in a Scholarship Notebook in the senior English classes. Read carefully the eligibility requirements. The Internet has free scholarship searches. Be careful of scams; scholarships that you pay someone to find for you can be found on your own at no cost.
    Each college you apply to will require an official high school transcript. To have your transcript sent to a college you must fill out a Transcript Request in the Counseling Office.  Each one sent will cost $1.00 and will be mailed directly to the college.  Please allow 3 days for these to be sent.  In addition to the transcript for admission, you will also need to send a final transcript at the end of the year to the college you will attend in the fall. Final transcript requests need to be made by the end of May to insure prompt delivery.
    Students obtaining credit through TCC, TWU, or UTA will be responsible for sending those transcripts to the college they will be attending.  Students make this request through their individual colleges.
    Still trying to decide upon a college?  Take advantage of preview days at universities and colleges. Check the college's website for dates or contact the Admissions Office to obtain information about a campus visit. RHS students are allowed 2 college visit days a year during the junior and senior year.  See your counselor to get full details on attendance requirements for your visit.
    If you want to play NCAA Division I or Division II athletics, you must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse. You can apply at http://www.ncaaclearinghouse.net/. Be sure to create a pin number and to write that pin number down in a secure place so you will be able to access your records with the Clearinghouse.  Let the Counseling Office know to send your transcripts.
    Types of Financial Aid Available
    • Grants - Money you do not have to pay back
    • Loans - Money borrowed that must be paid back (with interest)
    • Work-Study - Money earned from work used to help pay for school
    • Scholarships - Available from many sources
    Financial Aid Eligibility
    To be eligible you must:
    • Have financial need                
    • Have a high school diploma or GED
    • Be enrolled in an eligible program
    • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
    • Register with Selective Service, if required
    • Complete forms as required and meet deadlines
    • Make satisfactory academic progress
    Financial aid eligibility is the difference between the cost of education and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
    Cost of education includes tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation and miscellaneous expenses.
    How to Apply for Financial Aid  (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov)
    1. Students must complete a FAFSA based on the year's tax return (forms not available until October, to be completed after October 1 with the preceding year's tax return).
    2. Students will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) after FAFSA is processed. Information is also sent to the college(s) selected on the FAFSA.
    3. The student's selected College Financial Aid Office(s) will send an award letter to the student indicating the types of aid the student is eligible to receive.
    4. Students should check with the college(s) they expect to attend; additional forms/applications may be required.
    *A word of advice--  Meet deadlines: Application, Scholarships, Financial Aid, Housing