September 26, 2019 | Vol. 41, No. 3
Partners in Education Recognitions
Reverend Dara Austin and White's Chapel United Methodist Church of Southlake were recognized for their support of Stowe Elementary. The church regularly provides resources for families and staff throughout the school year.
Jason Wells, Birdville High School principal, was recognized for saving the life of a student that was choking on food while eating lunch in the cafeteria at the school.
Kyle Pekurney, Smithfield Middle School principal, was recognized for providing assistance to a neighbor who was experiencing a medical emergency. His quick response helped save the individual’s finger.
Christine Gaston, Birdville High School deaf ed teacher, was recognized for going the extra mile to assist a former student register for college.
Summary of Actions
Approved the donations from:
- Rebel Legacy Project to Richland High School football program; and
- BELL Flight to BISD’s robotics team.
Approved the 2019–20 District Improvement Plan.
Approved the resolution nominating John Fegan for the board of directors for Tarrant Appraisal District.
Approved additional administrators to serve as teacher appraisers.
Approved additional administrators to serve as a principal and assistant principal appraisers.
Approved the request for class-size waivers for 12 sections in kindergarten through fourth grade for 2019–20.
Approved Board Policy CCA (LOCAL) Local Revenue Sources: Bond Issues. This policy addresses the District’s debt management practices, and includes guidelines for the issuance and management of debt.
Approved the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) Policy Update 113. Update 113 reflects changes in the law based upon recent administrative law and court decisions. Revisions were made to policies:
- BBE (LOCAL) Board Members: Authority [replace]
- BDD (LOCAL) Board Internal Organization: Attorney [replace, includes revisions recommended by Birdville ISD]
- BJCD (LOCAL) Superintendent: Evaluation [replace]
- CI (LOCAL) School Properties Disposal [replace, includes revisions recommended by Birdville ISD]
- CO (LOCAL) Food and Nutrition Management [replace]
- COA (LOCAL) Food and Nutrition Management: Procurement [add]
- COB (LOCAL) Food and Nutrition Management: Free and Reduced-Price Meals [add]
- CRB (LOCAL) Insurance and Annuities Management: Liability Insurance [delete]
- EHBAF (LOCAL) Special Education: Video/Audio Monitoring [replace, includes revisions recommended by Birdville ISD]
- FNF (LOCAL) Student Rights and Responsibilities: Investigations and Searches [replace]
Approved budget amendments.
Approved the bid/purchase for:
- Edulog Parent Portal from Education Logistics.
Approved the final payment to:
- Centennial Contractors Enterprises, Inc. for supplemental repairs to floor bar joists at North Ridge Elementary;
- CI Pavement for miscellaneous concrete repairs;
- NEMA 3 Electric, Inc. for gym lighting retrofit at Richland and Haltom high schools; and
- Precision Concrete Cutting of Oklahoma, LLC for repairs to existing District sidewalks.
Approved the interlocal agreement with Education Service Center, Region 18 ESC Purchasing Cooperative.
Approved the Master Intergovernmental Cooperative agreement with OMNIA Partners.
Future Board Meeting
Thursday, October 24, 2019, Regular Board Meeting, open session at 7 p.m., Boardroom.
excellence | integrity | service