– IN THE KNOW
Students succeed in school when they are in regular attendance. Regular attendance is nationally recognized as missing 5 OR LESS DAYS PER SCHOOL YEAR! Statistics show that Course completion, State Assessment completion and on time Graduation are all in direct correlation to attendance.
Encourage attendance with your student.
Every day matters!
2016/2017 ATTENDANCE LAWS SUMMARY:
STATE COMPULSARY ATTENDANCE LAWS
PARENTS CAN ONLY EXCUSE 6 ABSENCES PER SCHOOL YEAR - INCLUDING EARLY DISMISSALS
STUDENTS CAN ONLY HAVE 9 ABSENCES PER SEMESTER TO RETAIN CREDIT IN A CLASS
STATE TRUANCY ATTENDANCE LAWS
10 UNEXCUSED ABSENCES IN A SCHOOL YEAR RESULTS IN TRUANCY
ATTENDANCE DETAILS: EXCUSED
All absences require a call or a note for admission the following day. Notes should be legible and include: Students legal name, date missed, reason for the absence, parents signature and day time phone number. Parents have up to 3 days after an absence to excuse the absence with a call or note after which it remains unexcused
LOSS OF CREDIT
- All absences count towards NC’s within the first nine absences
- Absences are counted by period
- Students must be in class at least 25 minutes to be counted as present
- Once a student has reached the state mandated excess absence limit of nine absences and does not have a Physician, Court or equivalent for the excess absences – that student will have to make up hours in After school D-Halls or Saturday Schools to retain credit for that class.
PHYSICIAN NOTES: Medicals must be in-person office visits and list the specific date(s) missed for a medical Absence
A sixth unexcused absence in any class will generate a warning letter. Once the Unexcused Warning Letter has been sent, all additional absences after the 6 allowed parent excused will remain unexcused unless student has a Physician, Court or equivalent document
Level 1: Truancy Warning letters are sent by the school at 3 unexcused absences
Assistant Principals will visit with student and parent at 3 unexcused absences
Level 2: Truancy Warning letters are sent by the school and city at 6 unexcused absences
The Truancy Officer will visit with student and parent at 6 unexcused absences
Level 3: 10 unexcused absences results in a Truancy Letter and subsequent Court Summons
An unexcused absence in any one class will generate an absence call to your home. Check your Family Access Attendance for unknown absences by a specific teacher. Only a teacher can correct an attendance error. Students must take a correction form from the attendance office to the teacher to correct the absence.
All absences count against exemptions
Students who need to leave school during the day must bring a parent note to the attendance office requesting the early
dismissal before the student’s first period class that day.
If a student becomes sick during the day or a late appointment is made, an early dismissal can be done one of the following ways:
1. The School Nurse may send them home
2. A faxed parent note to 817-581-5454
3. A signed parent note can be photographed and emailed to your attendance clerk
- We will call a parent/guardian anytime an emergency contact comes to pick up a student unless a parent note had been sent to pre-arrange the early dismissal.
- We CANNOT take calls for early dismissals.
- Students cannot wait in our office without an early dismissal.
- Pre-arranging early dismissals improves the classroom environment and the possibility of not being able to
- locate your student in time for an appointment.
- Students returning from early dismissals need to check back in through the attendance office. Failure to do so results in additional absences.
*At NO TIME is a student ever to leave campus during their regular class schedule without checking out through attendance. Students who leave campus without being signed out through the office are considered truant and the absence will remain unexcused.
*RICHLAND HIGH SCHOOL IS A CLOSED CAMPUS FOR LUNCH
ADDRESS / PHONE NUMBER CHANGES
If you move during the school year, you must provide new documentation in order to change your address in the system
and verify your new attendance zone. Students that move during the school year without notifying the school can be withdrawn immediately. If you change your home, work or cell phone numbers - please send a note to update our office!
For missed homework, the student can contact teachers through their student access account or a parent through their family access account. If necessary, the Counselors office can collect homework to be picked up by a parent after the 3rd day
Kathy McGuire 817-547-7018 A-Gl firstname.lastname@example.org
Heather Ortega 817-547-7013 Go–N email@example.com
Reyna Ortiz 817-547-7028 O–Z firstname.lastname@example.org
Receptionist 547-7029 Receptionist 547-7005
A-C Mike Gerard 547-7014
D-I Derek Hinton 547-7017
J-M Mark McCanlies 547-7019
N-R Carol Adcock 547-7021
S-Z Adele Kennedy 547-7016
Eva Trevino 547-7020
Margaret Jackson 547-7027
Susie Rankin 547-7022
Beverly Morgan 547-7023
David Arthurs 547-7026