The Academy at Carrie F. Thomas
Uniform Specifications: Monday - Thursday
All students are expected to wear student uniforms Monday - Thursday. Every Friday is Out-of-Uniform Day. Students must adhere to the BISD Dress Code for Fridays.* The uniform must be worn upon entering the campus until leaving school. No Exceptions.
- Navy or Khaki pants
- A belt must be worn (except for PreK 4 and Kindergarten students)
- Navy or Khaki walking shorts
- Must be at least fingertip length, as required by BISD Dress Code
- Shorts must be worn at the waist
- All shirts must have a collar
- Red, white, navy or baby blue polo style with a collar
- White, light blue, or white/blue striped button-down oxford shirt
- Red, white, or navy turtleneck
- Red, white or navy sweatshirt (no logo or design)
- Shoes must have non-marked soles.
- No Flip Flops
- No wheels
- No slide-on shoes with open backs
- All shoes must have no more than a one-inch heel
Clothing and Grooming
The district prohibits pictures, emblems, tattoos, or writing on clothing that is lewd, offensive, vulgar, or obscene; that depict the occult; that represent gang membership; or that advertise tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or any other substance, object, or activity prohibited by law, BISD Board Policy, Student Code of Conduct, or other district rule. The District also prohibits any clothing or grooming that, in the principal’s judgment, may reasonably be expected to cause disruption of or interfere with normal school operations. Additionally, students in grades PK-12 are expected to adhere to the following standards:
- Student’s hair shall be clean, neat, and well-groomed. Hair styles and hair colors that pose a health or safety hazard or cause a disruption of normal school operation, as determined by campus administration, are prohibited.
- Students’ clothing shall adhere to the following guidelines:
- a) Shirts, tops and dresses should be modest and appropriate for school.
- b) Undergarments must not be exposed at any time.
- c) Tank tops (straps less than 2 inches and/or oversized arm holes); low cut dresses, low cut blouses, blouses that are strapless, backless, or have spaghetti-type straps are prohibited.
- d) Oversized T-shirts and oversized tank tops are prohibited.
- e) Students may wear shorts and skirts, provided they are neatly hemmed and modest in appearance. All shorts are to be without holes and not shredded.
- f) Specifically prohibited are: cutoffs (of any derivation), pajama bottoms, form-fitting/skin tight shorts of Lycra, spandex, or any other similar material.
- g) The acceptable length of shorts, skirts, and dresses are as follows:
- Elementary: No higher than fingertip length
- Secondary: No higher than 5” from the top of the knee
- h) Form-fitting/skin tight pants, such as leggings, jeggings, yoga pants and tights, must be covered with a top reaching no higher than 5”inches above the knee for secondary students and no higher than fingertip length for elementary students.
- i) No sagging. Oversized clothing shall not be worn to any BISD function. Specifically, “bagging or sagging” pants or shorts are prohibited. All pants and shorts are to be worn at the waist.
- j) Pants may not expose the skin higher than 5” above the knee and must be presentable. Extra-long belts are prohibited. Belts must be used appropriately.
- k) All students must wear appropriate footwear. Heelys (or other wheeled shoes) are prohibited. Due to safety concerns during recess and P.E. elementary students are not allowed to wear flip-flops during this time.
- No hats or head coverings (i.e., bandanas and hoodies) of any kind are to be worn inside the building unless approved by the school principal for a special occasion or worn for religious reasons. Unless there is a documented medical justification, no sunglasses are to be worn in the building.
- Heavy full-length outerwear, such as “dusters”, trench coats, or Gothic attire, is prohibited from being worn.
- The wearing of heavy chains or spiked jewelry or “grills” is prohibited. Pierced body ornaments may be worn in the ears and a single facial stud may also be worn. “Gauges” in elementary school are prohibited.
- The length of uniforms for spirit groups such as drill teams, cheerleaders, dance clubs, etc. shall be consistent with BISD student dress code when these uniforms are worn to school.
- Regulations in reference to grooming and dress for each campus are under the direction of the principal.
- The Academy at Carrie F. Thomas, The Academy at West Birdville and Birdville Elementary require the wearing of school uniforms or standardized dress for all students as approved by the Campus Site-Based Committee.
Students shall be given an opportunity to correct a violation of the Dress Code while at school, if possible. If the student refuses to correct the dress code violation they will be subject to discipline according to the Student Code of Conduct.
Repeated violations of the dress code or grooming standards shall be considered defiance of authority and may result in more serious disciplinary action, according to the Student Code of Conduct.
Enforcement The campus principal, assistant principals and staff members have the authority to enforce the District Dress Code. The campus principal or the principal’s designee shall make the final decision on campus dress and grooming issues.