Environmental AwarenessAs our environment consistently changes, it is important for children to understand the importance of taking care of their surroundings. We all play a great role in communicating to our children the benefits of protecting our world’s natural resources for our CommYOUnity.
RECYCLING TIP FOR THE MONTH
15 Uses for old newspapers
- Donate newspapers to the animal shelter. They use them for bedding in the crates.
- Use newspaper instead of Styrofoam for packing material for mailing packages.
- Place sheets of newspapers in the fruit and vegetable bins in your refrigerator. The paper will catch messes from rotted produce and keep the bin free of odors.
- Put a few pages of newspaper in the bottom of unused, closed coolers and lunch boxes. No smell or mold.
- Use to dry and polish windows after washing.
- Spread out between garden rows to discourage weeds.
- Use newspaper to cover plants during a frost.
- Use to wrap green tomatoes to ripen them.
- Use as a kneepad when gardening.
- Shred newspapers and stuff in vases to help support fresh flowers.
- Stuff in wet shoes overnight to dry and deodorize.
- Stuff hats and purses to keep their shape.
- Protect table when children are painting or gluing.
- Shred colored comic pages and use in gift bags. (Bags also recycled)
- Wrap garbage in newspapers instead of plastic bags.