In accordance with Texas Education Code (TEC), §28.0256, beginning with students enrolled in 12th grade during the 2021-2022 school year, each student must do one of the following in order to graduate:
- Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
- Complete and submit a Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA); or
- Submit a signed opt-out form.
For more information from TEA, visit their Financial Aid site: TEA Financial Aid Requirement
In Birdville ISD, seniors will submit their FAFSA or TAFSA confirmation through their current Government or Economics class. Instructions will be provided by your teacher. If a senior has previously completed, or is not currently enrolled in a Government/Economics class, please visit with your counselor to submit your documentation: https://tinyurl.com/BHSCOUNS
Completing the FAFSA
You know you have to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form, but maybe you’re not sure what to do. Visit the FAFSA site to learn more about what to expect during the FAFSA process. We strongly recommend that you and your parent each create an FSA ID before you begin the application.
FAFSA Opt-Out Form
To authorize a student to opt out of the financial aid application graduation requirement, the Financial Aid Application Opt-Out form must be signed by one of the following:
- OPTION I: A student age 18 years or older or emancipated minor under Chapter 31, Texas Family Code
- OPTION II: The student’s parent or guardian and the student
- OPTION III: A school counselor, for good cause as determined by the school counselor, and the student
Students under 18 years of age may only be authorized to decline under OPTION II or OPTION III. Submitting a Financial Aid Application Opt-Out Form does not prohibit a student from completing and submitting a financial aid application at any time in the future.
English Version: Financial Aid Opt-Out Form
Spanish Version: Financial Aid Opt-Out Form - SPANISH