Dear Birdville ISD Families:
The safety of our students remains of utmost importance in Birdville ISD. Our district staff all work diligently to maintain safe and secure facilities. This letter provides a summary of security measures in place to ensure our children's safety at school. These measures reflect our community's high expectations for school safety and include the following:
- District safety committee. Our district administration has refocused its attention on crisis prevention and management. During the 2006-07 school year, all district and campus safety plans were reviewed and updated.
- Emergency management plans. Our district has crisis management plans in place at each school and a district emergency operations plan. Each school's plan is developed by the principal, his or her staff, and a campus team. Each year, we audit and practice these plans throughout the year.
- AED's available. BISD has at least one Automated External Defibrillator (AED) at each campus within the district. Selected staff has been trained on the proper use of this device in order to provide emergency care if needed.
- Campus Visitors. We restrict entry and exit from our schools. Visitors must stop at the main office, present photo identification, and receive a temporary ID badge before proceeding. Additionally, as a safety precaution, we lock the majority of the exterior doors at each campus.
- Physical security improvements. Due to the passage of the 2005 proposition two bond package, each campus has a new digital security system. This system includes keyless access points and video monitoring at each campus.
- Guns and illegal weapons control. In our district, we have zero tolerance for weapons possession. Students who have illegal weapons at school will be disciplined according to the BISD Code of Conduct Booklet and Chapter 37 of the Texas Education Code.
- Violence reporting. Please report any threats, concerns or suspicious activity to the campus administration or to the district's student services department.
Please be assured that we will take all precautions necessary to ensure the safety of our students. If you have questions or concerns about school safety, please contact your child's school principal or Student Services at (817) 547-5790. Thank you for your understanding and assistance.
Darrell G. Brown, Ph.D.