June 20, 2019 | Vol. 40, No. 12
Nine BISD Special Olympians were recognized for their efforts at the state Special Olympics Track Meet in San Antonio. They were: Ben Cohen, Kyle Dapprich, Jasmyn Deanda, Caitlin Easley, Kaden Humason, Dee Dee Pierre, Emma Spicer, Kamryn Starks and Gabriel Varela.
Summary of Actions
Approved the donations from:
- Birdville High School PTSA to Birdville High School;
- Birdville High School Cheerleader Booster Club to Birdville High School Cheer; and
- Green Valley Elementary PTA to Green Valley Elementary.
Approved the revised budgets for 2018–19.
Approved the 2019–20 Accelerated Instruction Budget.
Approved the 2019–20 General Fund, Child Nutrition and Debt Service budgets of $267,235,343.
Approved budget amendments.
Approved the land swap with Haltom City for the pedestrian bridge at the new partner elementary school.
Approved the memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Juvenile Justice Alternative Education Program (JJAEP).
Announced 50 appointments and 20 resignations.
Approved the administrative appointment of:
- Michelle Broadwater, student assistance/crisis intervention coord., Guidance & Counseling
- Charles W. “Billy” Neal, assistant principal, Richland Middle School
- Emily Rivera, dyslexia, Section 504 & RtI specialist, Federal & State Programs
- Mary Terry, assistant principal, Watauga Elementary School
Approved a one-year extension of the superintendent’s contract.
A public hearing was conducted on the 2019–20 budget and tax rate.
Approved the bid/purchase for:
- Dishwasher and exhaust system at North Ridge Middle School from Supreme Fixture Co., Inc.;
- Commodity processing for Child Nutrition Services Department from multiple vendors;
- Locker replacement in the field house at Richland High School from BSN Sports;
- Gym lighting retrofit at Haltom and Richland high schools from NEMA 3 Electric, Inc.;
- Repairs to existing District sidewalks from Precision Concrete Cutting of Oklahoma, LLC.; and
- Miscellaneous concrete repairs from CI Pavement.
Approved the contracts/renewals for:
- BISD Plaza renovations from Phillips May Corporation;
- Collection of taxes for the 2019–21 tax years from Tarrant County Tax Office;
- Services for 2019–20 from Education Service Center (ESC) Region 11;
- Eduphoria Suite and Lead4ward renewal from Eduphoria!; and
- Munis annual maintenance and support renewal from Tyler Technologies, Inc.
Authorized administration to negotiate and enter into a contract with an electricity provider.
Future Board Meeting
Thursday, July 25, 2019, Regular Board Meeting, open session at 7 p.m., Boardroom.
THE BOARD MET IN SPECIAL SESSION on June 11 and took the following actions:
Approved budget amendment.
Approved an average of 3–4 percent pay raise for all staff on the teacher pay scale and 3 percent for all other staff. The starting salary for a first-year teacher with no experience is $55,000.
Approved Board Policy CH (LOCAL) Purchasing and Acquisition and CV (LOCAL) Facilities Construction. The changes include process and procedure updates as well as a recommendation to increase purchasing threshold amounts requiring Board approval.
Announced 31 appointments and 23 resignations.
Approved the administrative appointments of:
- Jody Fadely, principal, Richland Middle School
- Sherri Gamble, principal, Foster Village Elementary
- Jonathan Paris, principal, Porter Elementary
- Brian Allen, assistant principal, Haltom Middle School
- Cortney Cooper, counselor, North Ridge Elementary
- Maria Embrey, Section 504 coordinator
- Tanner Holmes, assistant principal, Cheney Elementary
- Jade Hawkins, assistant principal, Porter Elementary
- Lindsey Jones, assistant principal, Binion and Stowe elementary schools
- Kinzie Morgan Mallett, secondary ESL coach
- Traci Ratliff, elementary social studies coordinator
excellence | integrity | service