Battle of the Books
Students in grades K-5 have the opportunity to check out and read the titles from this list. There is one team made up of primary (grades K-3) and intermediate members (grades 4-5). The coaches are: Mrs. Gamboa-Mejia, Mrs. N. Hernandez, Mrs. Badger adn Mrs. D. Bozo.
BISD Elementary Battle of the BooksPurpose and Criteria
The purpose of the Battle of the Books is to:
- Promote recreational reading.
- Expose students to a variety of literature.
- Enhance reading comprehension and retention.
- Foster academic competition, and
- Develop the ability to work as a team.
The BISD elementary librarians will select the Battle of the Bookslist by March 1st. The following criteria will be considered:
Titles should not reappear on the list within a periodof:
- Appropriate variety of reading levels and interests.
- Variety of genres, such as adventure, mystery, historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, biography, folktales, fairytales and realistic fiction. (Due to the nature of Battle of the Books we have excluded other informational texts.)
- Variety of authors
- Quality books that are well written and timeless. Possible candidates may include: Newbery, Caldecott, Texas Bluebonnet Award and other award lists.
- Availability: Books should be in print. Paperback bindings are preferred.
6 years for the Primary list
3 years for the Intermediate list