Battle of the Books
Students in grades K-5 have the opportunity to check out and read the titles from this list. There is one team made up of primary (grades K-3) and intermediate members (grades 4-5). The coaches are: Mrs. Gamboa-Mejia, Mrs. N. Hernandez, Mrs. Badger adn Mrs. D. Bozo.
Primary Battle of the Books Title List 2020-2021
- Crayon Man by Natascha Biebow
- Donkey Egg by Janet Stevens
- Douglas, You’re a Genius by Ged Adamson
- Hair Love by Matthew A. Cherry
- Hello Lighthouse by Sophie Blackall
- If You Were the Moon by Laura Purdie Salas
- Jack and the Beanstalk and the French Fries by Mark Teague
- Little Red Fort by Brenda Maier
- New Shoes by Sara Varon
- Penny and Her Song by Kevin Henkes
- Saxby Smart: The Curse of the Ancient Mask… by Simon Cheshire
- Yard Sale by Eve Bunting
Intermediate Battle of the Books Title List 2020-2021
- Cog by Greg Van Eekhout
- Frindle by Andrew Clements
- Go for the Moon: A Rocket, a Boy, and the First Moon Landing by Chris Gall
- Inkling by Kenneth Oppel
- Love Sugar Magic: A Dash of Trouble by Anna Meriano
- Superstar by Mandy Davis
- The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
- The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
BISD Elementary Battle of the BooksPurpose and Criteria
The purpose of the Battle of the Books is to:
- Promote recreational reading.
- Expose students to a variety of literature.
- Enhance reading comprehension and retention.
- Foster academic competition, and
- Develop the ability to work as a team.
The BISD elementary librarians will select the Battle of the Bookslist by March 1st. The following criteria will be considered:
Titles should not reappear on the list within a periodof:
- Appropriate variety of reading levels and interests.
- Variety of genres, such as adventure, mystery, historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, biography, folktales, fairytales and realistic fiction. (Due to the nature of Battle of the Books we have excluded other informational texts.)
- Variety of authors
- Quality books that are well written and timeless. Possible candidates may include: Newbery, Caldecott, Texas Bluebonnet Award and other award lists.
- Availability: Books should be in print. Paperback bindings are preferred.
6 years for the Primary list
3 years for the Intermediate list