With news about flu and coronavirus I want to remind everyone to:
Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
Cover coughs and sneezes. Use a tissue to cover coughs and sneezes, then dispose of the tissue. When tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill.
Wash hands for 20 seconds. Washing hands often under clean, running water can help prevent the spread of germs. If you cannot wash your hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-95% alcohol.
REMINDER to everyone of district policies for illness:
*Fever - student must be fever free for 24 hours without medication for fever before returning to school.
*Flu - fever free for 24 hours without medication before returning to school
*Strep and/or iIlnesses requiring antibiotics - students must have have antibiotics for 24 hours and fever free before returning to school.
*Stomach virus- Students who experience one or more vomiting episodes with or without fever, over a 24 hour period and/or are unable to tolerate normal food and drink, may not return to school until 24 hours after the last vomiting episode.
Hello! My name is Janie Butler and I am the school nurse at Major Cheney Elementary. I am a 2002 graduate of The University of Texas at Arlington Bachelor of Science Nursing Program. My work history includes newborn nursery/postpartum, pediatric physician office, and work with ECI (Early Childhood Intervention). It is my goal here at Major Cheney Elementary to promote health and wellness in the school setting to ensure that students are healthy and ready to learn each school day. If I can help you with anything at all please do not hesitate to call or email me! Thank you so much! I am so happy to work at Major Cheney Elementary!Closest Clnic---- JPS School Based Health Center(serving FWISD and BISD)2807 Layton AvenueFort Worth, TX 76117817-759-2035***TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY:
- Practice good hand hygiene!!! Wash hands often and thoroughly. Wash hands before eating, after using the restroom, after coughing and/or sneezing, and any other time they appear dirty. Parents we can help teach kids to sing Happy Birthday or their ABCs twice while scrubbing. REMEMBER: hand sanitizers are intended for use when soap and water are inaccessible, not as a replacement. Although hand sanitizers are convenient, kids should still wash their hands with soap and water at the first opportunity for a more effective job.
- Make sure kids eat healthy breakfast before school. Children need a healthybreakfast to provide fuel for the day.
- Be sure your child is getting the recommended sleep requirements for his/her age.
- Keep sick children at home, especially if they have fever (100.0 or higher) and keep them home until they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- Use proper cough and sneeze etiquette to prevent the spread of germs-----KIDS SHOULD COUGH AND/OR SNEEZE INTO A TISSUE OR THE INSIDE OF THEIR ELBOW TO AVOID HAND CONTAMINATION.
Lets have a healthy and wonderful school year!!!!!
- Keep in contact with myself and other school personnel if your child has a health issue or need so that we can all work together to ensure their well-being.